Podcast listeners according to data collected by Ipsos and Nielsen are constantly increasing and this makes podcasts an essential tool to implement in your medicare marketing strategy. To do this correctly, however, it is essential to know how to build an editorial plan suitable for the purposes.
We can define the podcast as “an unpublished audio content broadcast via the internet and listenable at any time” as defined by Ipsos.
To have the necessary skills to work in the field of podcasts it is good to have a mix of knowledge ranging in different areas including content, technical, marketing, and legal.
Specifically, it is indeed important to know various aspects inherent to these areas including:
- elements of script and storytelling for audio
- knowledge of recording, audio editing, and miking
- promotion, monetization, and data analysis
- the use of music, lyrics, and voices of others
The Topic Of This Post
- 1 The use of podcasts: the data
- 2 L’audio storytelling nei podcast
- 3 The editorial plan in the podcast
- 4 Conclusions
The use of podcasts: the data
Some data collected by Ipsos show how the numbers relating to the use of podcasts are not to be underestimated given the extent just last 2020, was characterized as the year of growth for podcasts.
Some interesting data of this growth were analyzed by the Digital Audio Survey launched already in 2019 by Ipsos and in its second edition where it is shown how podcasts:
- report an increase in listeners that pass from 26% to 30% of the population between 16 and 60 years
- they intercept 52% of listeners under 35, 19% of students, 22% of graduates, and 10% of users with high professions
- 78% listen to podcasts on smartphones
- the use of podcasts takes place at home in 80% of cases
- fruition takes place in multitasking mode in 77% of cases
- the percentage of those who listened to podcasts in 2020 for the entire duration increased by 61% compared to 2019
- 73% listen to the podcast at home and 30% in the car (Ipsos 2020)
The audio storytelling is not a podcast
The storytelling can be called ” story-telling, the art of writing or telling stories capturing the attention and interest of the public” as defined by the Treccani site.
About podcasts, audio storytelling does not deviate from this definition and represents an essential element in the construction of a podcast.
In this case of podcasts, audio storytelling is characterized by the creation of a relationship with the other through the communication of our values to expand the humanization of ourselves.
Especially after the past period in which the lockdown caused by the pandemic has shown on the web more and more usually private parts of the life of many people, humanizing in some ways many aspects, going back is perhaps an impossible undertaking.
It is therefore essential to understand how to maintain this humanization in the relationship with the user through the construction of audio content capable of creating a relationship with the listeners.
Storytelling, therefore, serves precisely for this purpose, which is to create a relationship with other people through the communication of their values, a concept that not only applies to people, but also to brands from which the user expects the same degree today. of humanization.
In the construction of a podcast that takes into account the storytelling factor, it is good to structure the ideas behind the development by asking a series of questions such as:
- What topic will I talk about?
- What are the values that I will communicate?
- Who is the protagonist of the story I’m going to tell (whether it’s from a brand or an interviewee)?
- What is the key phrase to use that will lead a person to purchase this podcast?
Once you have found the answer to the first three questions regarding the topic, values , and protagonist of the story, to answer the third question it is necessary to evaluate what can be the benefit obtainable by the listener who chooses to use the podcast.
The editorial plan in the podcast
The editorial plan plays a fundamental role in the construction of quality podcasts and for this to be achieved optimally, it is necessary to pay attention to some specific elements such as:
- a title that is a text that is easy to remember, write, understand and reproduce
- duration ideally included between 12 and 25 minutes
- recommended frequency weekly
- cover whose size should be minimum 1400 x 1400 px, maximum 3000 x 3000 px, in jpg, png, or gif format with the title of the podcast in evidence and with great contrast in the colors. These elements contribute to the creation of content that focuses on the accessibility of all users, including those with various types of disabilities
- theme lasting between 8 and 15 seconds
- trailer lasting between one and three minutes and recommended as ideal content to highlight
- description to be included because it is very useful on the SEO side and where it is possible to insert links even if they cannot always be clicked
- functional tags on the SEO side
Once all the elements necessary for the construction of a podcast have been analyzed, it is essential to decide the type of format on which you want to develop your podcast which can be characterized by the use of one or more speakers, which can be developed in the form of an interview, documentary, training or chat carried out more spontaneously than the previous formats.
Furthermore, concerning formats, the last element that can characterize the podcast is based on the type which can be:
- video podcast, which is not limited to audio but also includes video
- live, broadcast in real-time
- interactive, which develops in real-time and includes the ability to interact with listeners. Examples of this type can be found on Twitch
Podcasts are a new trend that should not be underestimated and represent a new way of communicating that belongs to a different type of user with different age groups, interests, or backgrounds.
Tik Tok or Spotify are just some examples of the platforms that have followed this audio trend, which according to the data is in continuous development.
Podcast marketing is therefore a strategy on which to focus and to integrate into the brand communication strategies and professionals who want to use the communication channels through which to establish relationships with users through proper storytelling audio use, can be strengthened.